Thursday, July 13, 2006

Proof That Racism is not Dead

The Voter Rights Act of 1965 may actually be in peril. It is of interest to a handful of Republicans to hold up its renewal. It feels like we are pushing hard against the walls of Jim Crow era Southern thought. Voters have been disenfranchised visibly in Ohio and Florida and possibly invisibly all over the country. The non-renewal of this act would simply make it official.

I can't believe that in the 21st century in the United States of America that I have to fear for my right to vote.

I signed a petition through moveon.org. Everybody should. Please pass it on.

UPDATE


Hooray for common sense! The Voter Rights Act was renewed today overwhelmingly in the House of Representatives. I can put away my police dog repellant for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home