Saturday, April 22, 2006

Georgia on My Mind

I spent last weekend in Georgia with family and realized what makes me so uncomfortable there. No, it's not the long list of dishes whose main ingredients are cheddar cheese and Doritos. It's the fact that things like malls and shopping centers are called "Plantation" this and "Plantation" that. They throw the word "plantation" around as if it just meant "a lovely piece of land". Whenever I hear it, I feel the sting of the whip. And every time I saw a poplar tree I heard the song "Strange Fruit" in my head.

Maybe there's such a thing as generational post traumatic stress disorder. Maybe I've watched Roots too many times.

The second to last time we visited family in Georgia, we got a speeding ticket and the cop informed us that if there was a next time within the year, my husband would be thrown in jail due to some non-reciprocality law. Georgia makes me nervous. Really nervous. But I love my family enough to risk being lynched.

1 Comments:

Blogger S. M. Kess said...

I was hitting the "next blog" button at the top of the page out of bordom, and your blog came up. I love your blog. I love what you have to say. From one knew blogger to another, keep it up.

-stacy (stacykess.blogspot.com)

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home