Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Beyond Sistagirl

Because I am not Southern, although Badu speaks to me, because I was born in the Bronx and never learned double dutch, because I attended a private school and tend not to use terms like "dog" and "son", I feel compelled to share my experiences.

I abhor the term African-American because every American is an African-American when you look far back enough into history. I think that separating black people out of American culture in that way is detrimental to the further develpoment of the society as a whole. Don't get me wrong, there is still racism and I think affirmative action and things like that are still necessary. I also think that there is no American culture without recognizing the contributions of people of African descent. I just think that if black people don't start claiming this country as our own as much as anyone else with ancestry in this country does, we will continue to be seen as lesser citizens.

I guess this is my opening statement. More to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home